This project involved the refurbishment of the existing heritage listed railway carriageworks in Redfern to incorporate a new performing arts centre, carparking and studio space for the Ministry of Arts.
The spaces included a new foyer space, large performance theatre, a medium and small performance space and 3 studio/ training rooms, together with new offices and back of house facilities.
Due to the proximity to the existing railway tracks, the main auditorium was designed as an acoustically isolated box and was cut into the existing structure without touching it. The box was isolated form the ground by the use of acoustic bearing pads beneath a precast base to the new structure.
The trusses removed from the existing roof were re-used in the “dancing” structure that provided the signage at the front of the building.
- 2009 International Architecture Award, The Chicago Athenaeum and the European Centre for Architecture, Art, Design Studies
- 2008 AIA National Lachlan Macquarie Award for Heritage. 2008 Overall Winner, Idea 08 Interior Design Excellence Awards.
- 2008 Best Institutional Interior, Idea 08 Interior Design Excellence Awards
- 2008 AIA NSW Greenway Award for Heritage
- 2008 AIA NSW Award for Public Architecture
- 2008 Australian Property Institute, Officer of the Valuer General Heritage Award
- 2008 Energy Australia National Trust Heritage Award for Adaptive Reuse, Corporate/Government
- 2008 Design Institute of Australia Interior Design Awards, Commendation Public Institutional Interior