The refurbishment, upgrade and extensions to the existing community centre facility in Woolloomooloo included a gym and childcare facility along with meeting rooms and operable walls to divide or combine spaces for the differing needs of the local community groups.
The structural design of the timber roof trusses is a solution that accommodated a traditional roof truss form but with a significant change in the falls and geometry of the roof surfaces and the feature timber clad ceiling on the project reflect this fundamental change to what would otherwise have been a conventional structure. The central stairs of the gathering space is a unique folded reinforced concrete sawtooth flight stairs of coloured concrete.
- 2017 AIA NSW Greenway Award for Heritage Architecture
- 2017 AIA NSW John Verge Award for Interior Architecture
- 2017 AIA NSW Architecture Award for Public Architecture
- 2017 Sydney Design Awards – Public or Institutional – Silver Winner
- 2017 GOV Design Awards – Mixed Use Architecture – Gold Winner
- 2017 AIA National Architecture Awards: Public Architecture
- 2017 AIA National Architecture Awards: Heritaget